Meet my super preppy red stretch poplin shorts made from the June 2011 Burda magazine. Man. It’s hot as Haiti here. I took photos before 8 a.m. and it was already pushing 90 degrees (32 C).
For this pair, I was inspired by an H&M shorts I saw in the store. I tried these on and it was horrifying. I wear a size 8/10 RTW on the bottom.
In H&M I just start in the 12/14 range and cross my fingers. These were falling off my waist and creating a tourniquet at my thigh. Truly, horrifying. Their clothes are just not built for me. But, I really liked the preppy details of double welt pockets.
I also saw a similar pair on Nordstrom.com by Alexander Wang for a pittance at $240. They aren’t available yet but you can pre-order them for fall!
I transferred the three welt pocket details to my 6-2011-2011 Burda pattern and used Kathleen Fasanella’s technique for double welt pockets. Instant prep. These will be great for weekend’s on my friend’s boat or running to the market. The funnel tee shirt below is from the April 2011 Burda and discussed here.
Red is really hard to photograph :( But, I placed double welt pockets on the back but the color is wonky and you can’t really see them in photos.
I was worried before it arrived that it might be more shirt than bottom weight. I like this fabric and think it would be awesome as a fitted dress, jacket or capris. I went on the site to see if I could get it other colors because I liked the density of the material so much. But, alas, just white. And, I’m not making white shorts that stretch, LOL! .
How do you like that placement? Instead of putting the pocket toward my hip, it’s at center front. Man. How did I manage to do that? My shorts kind of look like they are on backwards.
And, when I put my finger in the pocket, I look …. inappropriate. Yes, I said it. But, it’s the truth.
I wasn’t going to finish these when I realized my mistake. I was showing photos of it to folks at work and they just bust out laughing. But, I think they look fine as long as I don’t tuck in. I mean, these things happen. Heh.
I’ve got my next pair cut out from a black embroidery. Hopefully this weekend I’ll get those done too.
** After looking at these photos I’ve decided these are 1 inch or so shorter than my seersucker shorts. Odd. So, I’m going to re-hem a bit longer and use interfacing to stabilise. That will hopefully take care of the puckered hems.