Burda Magazine 9/2012 #130: Purple Friday Side Gather Pullover

28 Dec

Folks, this is the last of my Purple Friday Posts for this football season! The Ravens had an amazing game against the Giants last week and are AFC North champions (I only have a vague idea about what that means). I’m told we’re in the playoffs. I’m sure someone at work will clarify for me…

I needed one more winter Purple Friday garment for work. Also, I think purple is a lovely Christmas color, no? I’m posing in front of the outdoors Christmas tree at my office building. Liz, my friend and colleague, is my photog today and she *rocked* it. I didn’t have to retouch a single picture and only cropped like two of them.  I don’t want to be obviously self-indulgent and post *all* of the amazeball photos. But, if you want to see them, you can click here and I can maintain the pretense of modesty.

130B_technical_large

This little pullover from the September 2012 Burda Magazine is kind of perfect (available for download on BurdaStyle.com) . I like the gentle drape of the slight cowl. I looooove longer sleeves. I support any top that I can wear over leggings / jeggings and cover my bum and distract from my thighs.

I sewed a 38 and did not grade up for my hips. I did make a one inch dartless FBA and I think the fit is spot on. And, of course I made my usual swayback adjustment. Looks like I could have taken a ‘smidge’ more there too.

Any other changes? Well, I think the elastic length called for (or the braided elastic I used) needs to be shortened. When I first sewed the side seam elastic is wasn’t really gathering much and providing the shape I wanted. So, I shortend it by about five inches.

I took about two inches of the elastic on the sleeves too. I haven’t a clue where this sweater knit came from. I have some vague memory of it. But, that’s it. Just a vague memory. It was discovered in the great fabric-move-to-higher-ground so Superstorm Sandy doesn’t get it. I can happily see this top in other fabric iterations including a burnout / see through jersey layered over a tank.  When I first tried on the finished top, I also thought it would be *great* as a ballet / yoga top.

Speaking of tank tops. In the editorial, the model is wearing one. I found the neck opening a bit wide and adjusted the shoulder seam by about 1/2 inch on each side. This does impact the drape slightly, but not much. I also think the shoulders are long for me. But, most shoulders  are. I just never think to measure and adjust.

I’m not even sure of the content of the sweater knit. But, it’s cozy and will be great this winter. But, because I’m perennially cold (Carribbean parentage!), I’ll also be pairing it with this blazer.

(I should have rolled my sleeves down. And, this is my first time in five years wearing jeans to the office. But, it’s a holiday week and a Friday)

Likey? It’s an exact copy of a beloved J.Crew blazer from college. My mom had this version made for me in Korea about six to eight years ago. The original was beige and while it still fit, it was showing it’s age and looked dingy. So, I sent it to my mom and she had it remade in Korea. I loves it. I guess the tailors did too, because they didn’t give her back the blazer!

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas with family and friends! I was sick like a dog with a wicked cold. My mom is arguing with me that it was the flu. Somehow her 40+ years as a nurse tells her that, lol!  I spent a big chunk of my mini-break in bed instead of sewing. But, Christmas Day I ws better and had a low-stress and lovely time. I saw Le Mis, ate sushi for dinner and latkes for breakfast. I think 2012 is going down as my best Christmas ever. Well, except the year I got a Speak and Spell. That was pretty awesome.

50 Responses to “Burda Magazine 9/2012 #130: Purple Friday Side Gather Pullover”

1. saro December 28, 2012 at 10:55 #

I love this! You look great.

2. Jen December 28, 2012 at 10:56 #

That turned out really nice–I’ve been thinking about that pattern too and you’ve given me some inspiration! Happy new year!
    ~Jen

3. spottedroo December 28, 2012 at 10:57 #

Looks great! This one has been on my to-make list and its great to see it made up. Happy new year!

4. Andrea December 28, 2012 at 11:06 #

I just love that color on you, and the top is fabulous!

5. Meghan December 28, 2012 at 11:13 #

You look adorable! Perfect fit, and lovely color.

6. Tee December 28, 2012 at 11:15 #

Yeah RAVENS! Love your top!

7. oonaballoona December 28, 2012 at 11:15 #

well, okay, sure, wear a stunning color and drape it on your stunning thighs and stunning booty in order to distract the eye. the mouth is plenty occupied with drooling anyways.

as for the ravens, i can tell you what that means. but it’s christmas and i’m supposed to be nice.

8. Carolyn December 28, 2012 at 11:17 #

You need to make more purple garments because truly this is your color! Great top!

9. Heather December 28, 2012 at 11:23 #

Purple looks so great on you, and I love the shape of this top. McCalls has a similar pattern with rouching on both sides of the bodice that I want to make up. This inspired me to get to it! Glad you are feeling better and that you had a great Christmas!

10. Creatively Motivated December 28, 2012 at 11:27 #

This is a really great look! -Nizzy

11. Beth (SunnyGal Studio) December 28, 2012 at 11:29 #

I love that top, you look GREAT in that color. the next to last photo with the blazer rocks – fashion success!

12. Janet B December 28, 2012 at 11:33 #

The sweater looks so cozy, I’m inspired to sew something similar.
    You look terrific in purple.

13. Colleen P. December 28, 2012 at 11:34 #

ADORE that top! I may have to try that one, see if it disguises my belly pooch.LOL-or, I may just wear it anyway and to heck with belly pooch, it’s a great top! I think this is my fave of the purple garments, you look smokin’!

14. Elizabeth Koontz December 28, 2012 at 11:40 #

I wonder who took those fabulous pictures?????
    -DearestLizzie

15. Amanda S. December 28, 2012 at 11:55 #

Super chic, Renee! You look confident and happy. Sorry you were sick during your break. My dh has been sick for going on a week now with no end in sight. :(

16. starryfishathome December 28, 2012 at 12:09 #

You have made a gorgeous sweater from this pattern. It looks heaps better than on the stick insect in the magazine! I shall have to get some sweater knit and make one myself. ( You can never have too many sweaters in England!) I was doubtful about the gathered sleeves but they look great. What sort of elastic did you use?

• Miss Celie December 28, 2012 at 12:24 #

Hi Susan! I just used braided elastic from my stash. It’s white and kind of ‘harsh’ looking against the purple. But, I was all out of clear elastic!

17. NuJoi December 28, 2012 at 13:10 #

Very cute! Like your makeup too.

18. Jove December 28, 2012 at 13:40 #

That is such a cute top! I love the color. What type of fabric did you use? Did I miss that part?

19. Seraphinalina December 28, 2012 at 13:47 #

I love it. The purple is really great, suits you well. Although I may be biased, it’s a favourite colour for me too. I need something like that in my wardrobe, for much the same reasons. Something longer to cover my bum in snug pants but I love how that really plays up your curves. I don’t like feeling like I’m drowning in a sweater, which at my height is often the case by the time it goes around my bust.

20. Shams December 28, 2012 at 14:30 #

Beautiful top! I just bought that issue. It looks great on you in purple!

21. Vicki December 28, 2012 at 15:12 #

that is a great top. I may have to pin it for later. You look great, lovely colour and fab photos!

22. Shayla December 28, 2012 at 15:27 #

What a super cute top! I love this outfit and you look amazing!

23. Carmen B December 28, 2012 at 15:40 #

I love, love, love this top! Maybe cause I also love purple(?). Anyway, great job on the mystery knit top. I’m inspired!

24. Mary z December 28, 2012 at 15:42 #

Love the too long sleeves, especially for the cold winter months.

25. T. Sedai December 28, 2012 at 16:18 #

I love this top! I totally need to sift through the stash to look for the right fabric to use with this pattern.

26. Amanda December 28, 2012 at 16:43 #

That slight cowl is really lovely- such a day to night kind of piece. Loving the colour as well- I’m going to miss purple fridays!

27. Heather December 28, 2012 at 16:53 #

Nice top, you rocked it totally! A very Happy New Year to you!!!

28. Gail December 28, 2012 at 17:28 #

I just love this top. The colour and shape is so becoming.

29. Kathleen December 28, 2012 at 18:43 #

Great top- purple is your Color

30. Mary in FL December 28, 2012 at 19:38 #

Purple is such a pretty, regal color on you! That top looks great!

31. redsilvia December 28, 2012 at 19:55 #

Oh so cute! I tried making this one too and f”d it up but I’m thinking I need to get that pattern out again. I’m a fan of the other Harbaugh’s team, but good luck in the playoffs!

32. JC December 28, 2012 at 22:57 #

Lady, you are indeed a hard-core Ravens fan. :-). I’m just down the road from you (still in MD, but closer to DC) :-). Ya’ll don’t play. A friend of mine’s sister is a school administrator in Baltimore and every Friday is PURPLE day there. Cute on you. Do you still not cook or clean? :-). Happy New Year and thanks for all of the inspiration :-)

33. Linda L December 29, 2012 at 00:14 #

You look great in purple. Really like the look of this top!

34. Ernestine December 29, 2012 at 10:11 #

I love over this sweater and you’re timing is perfect! I was looking for a great sweater pattern to showcase some fabric and this will fit the bill! Hope my results are as wonderful as yours! Happy New Year!

35. Becky December 29, 2012 at 11:25 #

I am not a purple fan, but this color looks fabulous on you! You need to get that photog to do as many as possible as she did such a great job! You look gorgeous. I usually don’t like asymmetrical tops, but this is very flattering. Happy New Year!

36. CGCouture December 29, 2012 at 11:59 #

You is a sexy beast in this getup! I love that color on you, and the whole outfit is just well, sexy! I’m going to have to download this from Burda and make one of my own–don’t be surprised if I don’t copy the color too (gotta have team spirit for K-State!)

And BTW, your mom could be right, influenza (which we just got over a week or two ago) is like the worst cold you can possibly imagine, not the stomach bug that we always call flu. You should probably get tested, (not fun, it feels like they’re swiping your brain with a Q-Tip) because it is very contagious for quite a while.

37. Connie December 29, 2012 at 12:46 #

That’s a great top! Glad to hear you are feeling better- hope your New Year is a rocking one!

38. Jenny December 29, 2012 at 12:58 #

This is a beautiful color on you! And the cut/design is very flattering! Love your photo shoot setting too!

39. gingermakes December 29, 2012 at 15:47 #

I LOVE this– it’s a perfect color and shape for you (you seriously have a perfect figure and you’re ROCKING it in this top)! Love it paired with that fab blazer, too! So cool!

40. Myra December 29, 2012 at 17:34 #

What a great color and style on you! Fabulous job with this top!

41. The Slapdash Sewist December 29, 2012 at 22:51 #

Love this on you! The color is great and the asymmetric hem is so flattering. You may get passed over for Liz as my Official Photographer if I can get her to do a shoot with me–the photos are gorgeous!

42. meli88a December 29, 2012 at 23:20 #

The color is fantastic on you and you look so cozy (and very cute!) in the photos by the tree. Happy holidays!

43. Bonnie December 30, 2012 at 08:35 #

LOVE it. The style is flattering and color is fabulous!

44. nettie December 30, 2012 at 10:27 #

Beautiful!! I love this color!! Purple is my favorite, but it’s so hard to find fabric that’s the right shade. These are great pictures! Festive, but not in the usual way.

45. Veronica December 31, 2012 at 21:18 #

I just LUV your work! This top is AWESOME! Have a Wonderful New Year!

46. Sue Parrott January 2, 2013 at 00:02 #

I have bestowed upon you an inspiring blogger award!

47. Diane A May 2, 2013 at 09:13 #

Love this top on you. I plan on making this and have swayback issues too. Do you just shorten the back to adjust? Your blog is the best eva :)

• Miss Celie May 2, 2013 at 09:28 #

Hi Diane,

Yes, I did a seam up the back and a horizontal slice to accommodate for my sway back. I really love the fit!

1. Burda Magazine 9/2012 #104: Superlong Turtleneck « Miss Celie's Pants - January 7, 2013

[...] grey is another sweater knit that feels the same as my Purple Friday side gather top. Oh! I now know where the fabric comes from!! I bought it in Montreal during PR Weekend three years [...]