Burda Magazine 2-2011-120: Inverted Pleat Skirt (Showing the Good China)

1 Jun

Whoa. This skirt is short. Like OBGYN visit short. Like, I’m only wearing you when it’s deathly hot and with full bloomers underneath short.

Oddly enough, when deciding between blue denim or this khaki twill, I chose khaki so they would be work appropriate. Heh. Obviously, theses aren’t getting anywhere near my office!

The front kick pleat visual interest. I tend to drive myself crazy wanting the pleat to stay closed the whole time. But, I don’t think it’s really meant to do that. Or, it’s *slightly* off grain.

It was a really easy skirt.  Because time was of the essence, I left out the pockets. There is no waistband, just a facing. So, I used twill tape in the seam allowance of the waistband to stabilize this stretchy fabric.

I finished the facing with premade bias tape.

For the hem, just serging and a twin needle stitch. I did hem it by one inch. I could have also tried a facing, but seriously. Would 3/4 of an inch really have made this that much longer?

Skirt construction is less than two hours, skirt length, less than two feet.  (ETA: The blouse is from the Janaury 2008 Burda. I wrote a review of it for my China trip.)

And, baby. It’s shooooort. That trench coat is just below my knees. I am kind of a modest person when it comes to dress. I don’t like it too tight, low or short.  If I wasn’t pressed, I probably would have immediately recut and sewn this skirt.

I haven’t shown this much thigh in public since I was at the beach in August 2010. My younger friend Liz (who I am usually telling to wear longer skirts) fell out laughing when I put it on. No fear! I plan to wear compression shorts under it this weekend.

I now realize the Burda model is kind of leaning forward, making the skirt appear a bit longer. Oh, Burda!! Girl, you got me good!

Of course, I could have checked the length and measured. But, I was in a hurry. Truth be told, these are not much shorter than my shorts of two years ago. But, shorts can’t show your hoo-ha.

Needless to say, I’m not picking anything off the floor in these. Dang.

I have a second version already cut out in denim, with an additional two inches in length! But, looking at these photos, I think three to five might have been the right move :)

If you’d like to try it yourself and don’t have this issue, you can find it at BurdaStyle.

48 Responses to “Burda Magazine 2-2011-120: Inverted Pleat Skirt (Showing the Good China)”

1. Auntie Allyn June 1, 2011 at 08:47 #

Well I think you look just fine in this skirt . . . but I agree, I wouldn’t recommend wearing it to work! Great summer knock-around skirt!

• blankenmom June 4, 2011 at 20:10 #

You look great in it! If your anything like me though(probably not), you may not sit so lady like at all occasions. I have this same skirt (different pattern company), but I turned mine into a skort – no hoo-ha showings! :D

2. Amy L June 1, 2011 at 09:02 #

Short it is – but cute too. Shows off your legs but yes, protect the other goods. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

3. Claire (aka Seemane) June 1, 2011 at 09:14 #

I think it’s great! And you got the lovely toned pins to go with it (NB: I wonder if the cycling gives you and the magazine-model the great legs to carry this off? After all she has a bike in the pic too, and you’re a cyclist too. Although the skirt length as-is is too short to cycle in – you’d ermmm… catch a chill from the breezes drafting through on something delicate!!!).

• LauraSJ June 1, 2011 at 09:27 #

Yep, it’s short. But it fits great…can’t wait to see the denim one. The biking and dancing are paying off…your legs look good!

4. Amanda S. June 1, 2011 at 09:21 #

LOL! I love the part where you wrote “Oh, Burda, you got me good!” Hahahaha! But seriously, I like these on you. At least with the compression shorts you won’t be flashing your panties if a wind catches it. Thanks for the laugh!

5. molly June 1, 2011 at 09:22 #

It is actually very flattering, but even so I would never leave the house in something that short without some bike shorts underneath and I’m in my early 20s. A couple inches long and it’ll be a home run!

6. Lucy June 1, 2011 at 09:31 #

You’ve got the legs to work it – why not?! Though yeh, maybe not for work.

Patterns like this do make me laugh. Y’know the A-line skirt from the Feb 2010 issue? Go onto PR and search for it (02-2010-104) and look at all of the lovely knee length skirts. I had to add in six inches to get mine knee length. I’m not sure that the above, unaltered, would even cover my crotch!

7. Kay Huffq June 1, 2011 at 09:36 #

The skort is adorable. With legs like that, flaunt it, lol.

• Darci June 1, 2011 at 11:08 #

TOTALLY! Those are some magnificent pins you’re sportin’! Bend at the knees, not the waist. :)

8. fishyfacedesigns.wordpress.com June 1, 2011 at 09:36 #

I like this skirt a lot…very cute…I bet that the denim will look just as gorgeous…

Take Care…

9. Sali June 1, 2011 at 09:46 #

Agree with all the “looks great on you-super legs” comments, for me (5’10″ & 56 yo) the length is scandalous! Opinions please, how about +5-6″ in length?

10. Patti Hamel June 1, 2011 at 09:53 #

Well, it might be short, but it is verrry cute!

11. Lisa June 1, 2011 at 10:01 #

Yes, it is short, but honey you have got great legs!

Thanks for the facing photos. Do you use plain ol twill tape? Or is it a special kind?

12. Jessi June 1, 2011 at 10:08 #

Wow- that is a short skirt, but you definetly have the legs for it!

Very nice job.

13. Cathy June 1, 2011 at 10:12 #

I think it looks awesome on you. I would be a bit concerned about the “draft” too but easily solved with some shorts. I’d put that in the NSFW category too, not the way you want to draw attention to yourself in a professional environment. ;)

14. CGCouture June 1, 2011 at 10:18 #

LOL! I’m sorry, but I like this skirt, and think you have the legs to pull it off. I’d maybe save it for date night though…. ;-)

And I love that blouse, did you make it (I hope!) or buy it? If you did make it, what pattern is it?

• Miss Celie June 1, 2011 at 10:42 #

Oh, yes! I did make it. It’s from the January 2008 Burda Magazine. I’ve gone back and edited it with a link.

15. Rachelle June 1, 2011 at 10:23 #

That skirt is leg-tastic! It looks great on you, though I do agree that it might be a teeny bit short for work. Still, lovely work!

16. Layla June 1, 2011 at 10:31 #

showing the good china? HA HA HA HA!!!! thanks for that one! agree that the skirt looks leggerific on you!

17. Meg June 1, 2011 at 10:42 #

Don’t you think this is perfect for the event? Très jeune fille but that’s what you are. I like.

18. Frances June 1, 2011 at 10:44 #

A little scandalous, but it does look good.

Hard to say from the Burda photo with the baggy shirt, but I would guess that the model is not wearing that skirt at her natural waist. Looks like the top of the skirt is where low-rise jeans would sit.

• Anelie June 1, 2011 at 12:29 #

Yes I concur – I suspect the skirt is hanging down around the model’s probably-quite-narrow hips ;-) Very misleading! But you look lovely regardless, enjoy wearing it on a hot summer’s day ;-)

19. Gorgeous Things June 1, 2011 at 10:48 #

I agree, the fit is great, even if the effect is (to quote Leslie in Austin) a little hoochie mama. May not be work appropriate, but those are definitely good for weekend, with bike shorts. :)

20. Bobbi June 1, 2011 at 10:59 #

Hot Mama! Of course, you don’t want to get cat-called at work. :)

21. montanachic June 1, 2011 at 11:23 #

It is short, but it makes your legs look great! Do you play tennis?

22. Samina June 1, 2011 at 11:29 #

If I had legs like yours, I’d think about wearing skirts like that all the time! With bike shorts definitely, though – as cute as that skirt is, it’s a bit too short for me, too.

23. Terry June 1, 2011 at 11:29 #

Yep, you’ve got the pins for it! And if you DO wear it to work, you’ll be the most popular gal at the water cooler.

24. PinQueen June 1, 2011 at 11:50 #

Okay, cards on the table – It is too short for work. BUT OMG your legs look fan-tas-tic girl!

Try it with shorts, trainers and a baggy top, I bet it will look different again.

I think I am going to buy myself a bike if my legs will look like yours!

25. Carolyn June 1, 2011 at 12:17 #

Well let me start with a compliment…all that bike riding has been good to your legs! They are amazing looking! As for the skirt, doesn’t look that bad to me but then again I could have just been staring at your legs…*LOL* But you have a solution and seriously…dayum your legs look GOOD!

26. Parisgrrl June 1, 2011 at 13:15 #

I think you look terrific in that skirt, but if the length isn’t working for you, you could always add a decorative trim (like an embroidered ribbon, or an extra section of the original fabric) at the bottom to add some length.

27. LaKaribane June 1, 2011 at 13:44 #

Mine is going to be gray too! Seriously short, though. I need to look closely at the measurements.

And I believe the correct terminology is chocha:

28. Sherry June 1, 2011 at 14:51 #

Such a cute skirt, but yes it is short!
    I am sure you’ll find occasion to wear it though, with those fab legs you must!

29. kathleen June 1, 2011 at 15:24 #

Cute skirt – you do have nice legs :)
    But it’s not office wear, that’s for sure
    It will look good in denim

30. Beth H June 1, 2011 at 15:59 #

If I had legs like that… Well, I probably wouldn’t wear a skirt that short, either. But, just to echo everyone else– YOU LOOK GREAT!!!

31. summersetbanks June 1, 2011 at 16:09 #

Well, you’ve got great legs, so this isn’t a bad thing! Besides, compression shorts or leggings will protect the goods while staying cute.

32. Mary in FL June 1, 2011 at 17:12 #

You’re looking Good in that skirt, but you are probably right about not reaching towards the floor.

33. Joyce June 1, 2011 at 19:24 #

Yes short BUT you are young and shapely. Your legs are great. Wear with pleasure and no don’t bend over to pick any thing off the floor

34. allisonc June 2, 2011 at 01:13 #

Wow yes it is short – I always assume that skirts on those models will look at least 6 inches longer on me so I would probably have done the same thing and not checked the measurements either. Anyway you can definitely wear this, but yeah, maybe not to the office!

35. Renee June 2, 2011 at 07:29 #

Agree with the others-definitely short, but it looks great on you! And thanks to LaKaribane for a good laugh.

36. Irene June 2, 2011 at 08:41 #

Whoa, that’s short! What is it with Burda and lengths? I’m working on a dress from the March issue and it falls on mid-thigh! Of course I didnt check because I’m small and usually I have to take in the hem. But hey, summer of love is arriving.

37. Katharine in Brussels June 2, 2011 at 09:32 #

Tennis, anyone?
    Yikes, like stay away from vinyl seats too while you’re at it. In fact you want to be very comfortable with the seating surface of anything in a micromini like that! Burda got you good. But you look great showing off your gams. The bike trip paid off.
    I’m almost positive the front pleat isn’t made to lie shut. It’s for walking ease. Ironically, I find those skirts best for biking with discretion–but at knee length :)
    Cidell, do I spy an IKEA Anaboda dresser holding your patterns? Is it the perfect size, or what? I need a new pattern filing system :)

38. Christina June 3, 2011 at 17:10 #

It is def short but so cute! You are so good about sewing skirts. When I first started sewing, I only did skirts cuz they were the easiest to me. I need to make more skirts now too.

39. Dana June 3, 2011 at 22:41 #

Too bad about the length cause that outfit is soooo cute! Love those shoes too.

40. Gail June 5, 2011 at 20:39 #

I’d consider adding a contrasting panel to the hemline, unless you play tennis.

41. yyurtuiuty June 17, 2011 at 05:55 #

this burda is really great it makes such cool things

1. No Jeans Allowed. Burda 2/2011 #120 Inverted Pleat Skirt (Again) « Miss Celie's Pants - June 17, 2011

[...] Right. We’re also not allowed to wear jeans and khakis were suggested. So… I don’t own khakis. I own two solid colored skirts and they are knits. My black pants are wool and dressy. My summer pants are linen and blue– I don’t want to look like a smurf. So, I quickly (and QUICKLY) sewed up my second version of the inverted pleat skirt after work this week. The first version is here. [...]

2. 2011 Year in Review: I Sewed A Coat « Miss Celie's Pants - January 17, 2012

[...] Social: Yes. Done. But, not great. My first skirt was too friggin short. But, possibly the best my legs have looked. Ever. And, I gave away the vest because it was too big [...]